Amazing Facts about numbers
- India invented the Number System. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta. The place value system, the decimal system was developed in India in 100 BC.
- The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 10^6 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10^53 with specific names as early as 5000 BC during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera: 10^12.
- It took a Hitachi SR 8000 supercomputer over 400 hours to compute pi to 1.24 trillion digits where pi can’t be expressed as a fraction and never ends and repeats when written as a decimal (The ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle :- 3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510…..).
- 2 and 5 are the only prime numbers that end with a 2 or a 5.
- Zero is the only number known with so many names which include zip, zilch, nil, nought, naught.
- Googol is the number “one” followed by one hundred zeros. Infact Google’s name came from misspelling of this word.
- The opposite sides of a dice always add up to seven. From number 0 to 1000, the letter ‘A’ only appears in 1000 (One thousand).