Unknown facts about sharks
1. Do you know that people kill 11,417 sharks per hour, while sharks kill 12 people per year!!
2. 100 years is the life expectancy of whale sharks.
3. Sharks sense of smell is so powerful, that they can detect a single drop of blood in an Olympic-sized pool.
4. If sharks stop swimming, they will sink!!
5. This one is interesting! Worldwide, NewYorkers bite 10 times more people than sharks do.
6. Are you afraid that you will be attacked by shark? Don’t be afraid because there are more chances for you to die from a falling coconut than from a shark attack.
7. There’s a shark in Greenland that can live up to 200 years and can eat polar bears!!
8. This one sounds a bit weird. As soon as Tiger Shark embryos develop teeth in the womb they attack and eat each other.
9. When a shark hunches its back and lowers its pectoral fins and swims in zigzag motion, then it is sign that it will attack. These are the signs that a circling shark will attack.
10. Do you know that “Shortfin Mako” shark can accelerate faster than a Porsche!!
11. The whale shark lays the largest eggs in the world, while the ostrich lays largest eggs on land. In the Gulf of Mexico, an egg measuring 14 inches in diameter from a whale shark was found.
12. Around 20% of the 400 different types of sharks are larger than adult humans.
13. Shark screen bag is the one which keeps telltale scents from reaching cruising sharks and disguises the person’s shape. Ditched airman and shipwrecked sailors may use them.
14. To stop babies from crying, in Borneo the saw from a sawfish shark is hung over the cradle, with cloth covering it.
15. Some inhabitants of the islands in the South Pacific offered human sacrifices to sharks as they considered them to be gods, until the nineteenth century.
16. Sharks have special organs that can act as a compass and they may use the Earth’s magnetic field to navigate the oceans.
17. The thrasher shark uses its long tail to fish which is up to 10 feet. Its tail can be half the length of its whole body and uses it like a whip or bat that either stuns or smacks its prey.
18. Scientists speculate that sharks may have evolved from jaw less fish.
19. The Great White shark(also known as White Death), is the largest and strongest known predator in the sea. It can grow up to 30 feet long. It is the only fish that can lift its head out of the water to prey and its jaw is six times stronger than a wolf’s. Its jaw has about 67% of biting strength of a Tyrannosaurus Rex’s jaw. This shark is responsible for 30-50% of all deadly attacks on humans.
20. Next to the Great White shark, the tiger shark is the second most dangerous shark in the world. It will eat anything and often called the garbage can of the sea.
21. Sharks usually kill only when they are hungry, similar to lions. Some sharks can live for a year without eating, by using the oil and fats stored in their bodies.
22. Later line organs in the sharks help them to know when other fishes swim near them, which are the rows of small holes on the sides of their bodies and are sensitive to small movements in the water.
23. Sharks have ears inside their heads.
24. Nurse sharks spend most of their day resting on the sandy sea floor and when they get hungry, they suck the prey off the sea floor or between rocks.
25. Sharks are better at detecting low frequency sounds and can hear prey in the water from 3,000 feet away. Hearing is there best sense.
26. Scientists call the Goblin shark as “Frankenshark” because it looks so ugly with its long snout, beady head and pin-gray flabby skin. It was discovered in 1898, in Japan.
27. The angel and wobbegong sharks are so flat that they look like part of the sea floor.
28. Shark leather is more durable; shoes made of their leather will last four times longer than those made with regular leather.
29. Sharks skin is rough due to the denticles present on their skin and as sharks grow they fall off and are replaced by larger ones.
30. The Moses sole and the puffer fish are the small fishes that shark cannot eat. Sole releases a chemical in the shark’s mouth when a shark tries to attack it which will make shark release it.
31. Jaws movie which was released in 1975 fueled widespread fear and hatred of sharks. The author of the book, Peter Benchley, supported shark conservation.
32. Whale sharks can produce several hundred pups in a litter, they give birth to greatest number of pups.
33. The dwarf lantern shark is the smallest shark, which is seven inches long. The whale shark is the largest one, which can grow up to 50 feet long and weigh around 40,000 pounds.
34. Ampullae of Lorenzini are the tiny holes in the faces of the sharks, which help them in picking up the small electrical impulses generated by their prey.
35. Most sharks cannot pump water over the gills and they have to swim constantly to force water through their mouths and over their gills.
36. The mega mouth shark is the world’s most unusual shark. Its mouth can reach up to 3 feet across, whereas the rest of the body is 16 feet long, it was discovered in 1976.
37. A bull shark can live in both fresh and salt water, it can do it by regulating salt and other substances in its blood.
38. The liver is the largest organ in a shark’s body, it can be 25% of the shark’s weight.
39. For humans, shark liver oil used to be the main source of vitamin A. The liver of a basking shark contains 600 gallons of oil and can weigh over 1,800 pounds.
40. Shark attacks happens all the over the world and occur less than 100 feet from the shore and in water less than six feet deep.
41. In all the oceans, sharks can be found.
42. The Grey Reef shark is highly aggressive in nature and called the “gangster shark”.
43. There are around 465 species of sharks that can be placed into eight groups of which most of them are harmless. Only 30 species are known to attack humans.
44. A torpedo, the rear half of a horse, a box of nails, and bottles of wine are the weird things that have been found in sharks stomach.
45. Sharks love men!! nearly 90% of shark attacks have happened to men, no one knows why.
46. Sharks constantly shed teeth, they have 40-45 teeth with up to seven rows of replacement teeth behind them. It takes only one day for replacement teeth and the newer teeth are always larger which is the reason why sharks tend to look scarier as they age.
47. Sharks can vomit!! when it eats an amount of food that it can’t digest, it vomits by thrusting its stomach out its mouth then pulling it back in.
48. Scientists study shark cartilage as they very rarely get cancer and scientists hope to find the cure for the disease.
49. Sharks belong to elasmobranchs group.
50.The goblin shark lives at depths of several thousand feet and gets its name from Japanese legends.