Lets look into Facts about water:
1. Do you know that 1 in 9 people lack access to an improved and cleaner water source on planet earth! If you are reading this,it means that you have access to purified water.
2. You will be amazed to know that there’s a billboard that creates drinkable water of thin air in Peru.
3. Don’t waste water as drinkable water is only 1% of the world’s water.
4. 6 liters of clean water is used by the average toilet in a single flush.Want to know how the flush toilet evolved?Read Evolution of Flush Toilet
5. Due to evaporation and other causes, in a month an average swimming pool loses 3,785 Liters of water. (1000 gallons).
6. To collect water, people in Asia and Africa have to walk for an average of 6 km (3.7 miles).
7. You will be shocked to know that each year 3.4 million people die from water-related causes.
8. Most of us don’t know that around 1/3 rd of our bones are composed of water, which is approximately around 31%.
9. Do you know that around 700 million people in China drink contaminated water.
10. Water is not a good conductor of electricity but the impurities found in water make it a very good conductor of electricity.
11. You will be surprised to know that beer was consumed more than water in the middle ages as the alcohol made it safer.
12. Water is made up of two elements, oxygen and hydrogen and its chemical formula is H2O.
13. For existence of life on Earth water is essential.
14. 70% of Earth’s surface is covered by water.
15. Water is called Universal solvent as it dissolves almost everything. It dissolves salts, sugars and even acids where as on the other hand oils and fats don’t mix well with water.
16. Water is found on Mars, it is in the form of ice and is found at polar ice caps of the planet, some scientists suggested that there is a possibility of finding liquid water on the red planet.
17. Pure water is odorless and tasteless and has a pH around 7, whereas rain water is a bit acidic and has pH less than 7.
18. Most of us know that water boils at 100 °C (212 °F), which is at normal conditions. The boiling point changes relative to the barometric pressure, for example water boils at just 68 °C (154 °F) on the top of Mount Everest and can remain in liquid form at temperature higher than 100 °C (212 °F) in ocean floors.
19. Liquids usually expand when temperature rises, but water contracts from 0 °C to 4 °C.
20. In the United States, the EPA’s Safe Drinking Water Act (1974) regulates only 91 of the over 80,000 chemicals used in the country. Even low levels of hundreds of legally allowed contaminants can cause wide range of diseases such as cancer.
21. The types of dangerous pollutants in the water are increased by the widespread city infrastructures which are decaying at a rapid rate.
22. You will be shocked to know that the tap water of at least 41 million Americans has been found to contain wide range of pharmaceuticals, including anti-seizure medicine and sex hormones.
23. The study by the EPA will shock you for sure. The study revealed that employees of bottled water companies are not tested for disease, nor are they required to avoid the bottling area if they have open cuts or infections in their hands or sneezing from colds.
24. Efforts to tighten drinking water standards that would restrict and regulate common drinking water contaminants such as tricholoethylene (a degreaser used in manufacturing), perchloroethylene (a cleaning solvent) and perchlorate (a rocket fuel additive) have been blocked by military and industrial lobbyists.
25. In the United States, annually a massive amount of new toxins are released into soil, atmosphere and groundwater, totaling nearly 18 billion pounds.
26. Do you know that one plastic water bottle takes 500 years to decompose and Americans empty 2.5 million plastic water bottles in an hour.
27. Since 2004 more than 62 million Americans have been exposed to substandard tap water and it lasted for years for some people.
28. The severely outdated Safe Drinking Water Act (1974) cannot adequately prevent people from being exposed to serious health dangers because of their drinking water.
29. Do you know that toxins in tap water can accumulate in the human body for years and increase the risk for developing all types of diseases including cancer.
30. An average water molecule will spend 10,000 to 1,000,000+ years in an Antarctic ice cap, 10,000-100,000+ years underground, 3,000 to 5,000 years in an ocean, 10 years in a large lake, 2 weeks in a river and 9 days in the atmosphere.
31. An average person in a developing country slum uses less water for an entire day than an American taking a five-minute shower.
32. The sanitation and water crisis claims more lives through disease than any war.
33. Around the globe one billion people don’t have access to safe drinking water.
34. Do you know that many girls in developing countries cannot attend school because they are responsible for gathering domestic water and schools lack separate toilet facilities according to the World Water Development Report.
35. You will be shocked to know that a child dies from contaminated water every eight seconds.
36. It is sad to hear that each year twenty-five million people die from contaminated water, which is approximately equal to the entire population of Canada.
37. In developing countries, contaminated or impure water is the leading cause of epidemics.
38. Contaminants in tap water can increase the risk of learning disorders. Lead is the core contaminant.
39. Estimates by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) say that Americans annually take 40 trillion gallons of water from the ground, and the rate of use is increasing alarmingly at a rate of 25% per decade.
40. 946 liters (250 gallons) of water a day are used by the average American family whereas the average African family uses about 23 liters (5 gallons) a day.
41. Water accounts for approximately 80% of an infant’s body weight at birth.
42. A healthy person can drink 48 cups of water daily, which is around three gallons.
44. Coffee and soft drinks contain caffeine which can act as a mild diuretic, prevents water from traveling to necessary locations in the body.
45. You will be surprised to know that water is the only substance found on earth naturally in three forms: solid, liquid, and gas.
46. To grow food for the planet it takes 200,000,000 liters per second.
47. Do you know that water regulates the Earth’s temperature?
48. It would take 170 liters of water to produce just one pint of beer.
49. This one will amaze you for sure. If the entire adult population of Wales and England remember to turn off the tap when they were brushing their teeth, we could save 180 mega liters of water a day.
50. More than half of our daily water consumption at home originates from the toilet and bathroom which is around 63%.
- Amazing facts about tea.
- Amazing facts about coffee.
- Amazing facts about food.
- Amazing facts about health.