- (architecture) a slender upright spire at the top of a buttress of tower
- The highest level or degree attainable; the highest stage of development
- A lofty peak
- Surmount with a pinnacle
- Raise on or as if on a pinnacle
Synonyms: acme, height, peak, summit, elevation, superlative, top, meridian
Derived forms: pinnacles, pinnacling, pinnacle
Quotations: Henry Miller – Fame is an illusive thing here today, gone tomorrow. The fickle, shallow mob raises its heroes to the pinnacle of approval today and hurls them into oblivion tomorrow at the slightest whim; cheers today, hisses tomorrow; utter forgetfulness in a few months.
Anne Revere –Behold an industry that once bestrode the envious pinnacle of world leadership, now so paralyzed with fear that the screen is now inhabited solely by three-dimensional spooks and men from Mars.
Oswald Spengler –It is the Late city that first defies the land, contradicts Nature in the lines of its silhouette, denies all Nature. It wants to be something different from and higher than Nature. These high-pitched gables, these Baroque cupolas, spires, and pinnacles, neither are, nor desire to be, related with anything in Nature. And then begins the gigantic megalopolis, the city-as-world, which suffers nothing beside itself and sets about annihilating the country picture.
John Reid –This group’s had some hard times, but they’ve bought in and they’ve reached the pinnacle. They’ve been awesome, some of the best players this school has ever had.
Will Lewis –It’s exciting for me to be in a position like that where you can kind of be a part of the game that’s considered the pinnacle of your profession. The fact that you come from Millersville, or the fact that you come from USC, it’s kind of the same as far as your desire or your passion for this game.
Steve Foley –This is the pinnacle of my career right now. It’s just all about your getting your chance and getting in that system that fits you best. I just wish I would have been in this defence my whole career. I can’t dwell on that. I can just try to make those memories happen now.
- Somebody like Wayne really inspires you, he’s gotten to the pinnacle and done it the hard way.
- Sure, in any profession you always want to reach the pinnacle of that profession.
- Where he was, you’re at the pinnacle of success. This is the peak of achievement as far as individuals are concerned, as far as success goes. It is ironic that you can go from there and then you fall so low.
- This is a wonderful honour for our wrestling team, but we haven’t reached our pinnacle yet. We still have bigger things we want to do this season.
- They’re probably still the pinnacle of our region.
- Their motion is a diversion. I also think it’s the pinnacle of hypocrisy.
- Reaching the Tournament of Champions is a pinnacle. It’s what we always strive for. We’re looking at this as we’re not done. We have one more step to take and it’s the biggest and hardest one.
- Chicago should really appreciate this and understand what this is all about. This is the pinnacle.
- I think the only people who could conceivably be talking about a draft are people who are speaking from pinnacles of near-perfect ignorance.
- The degree and kind of a man’s sexuality reach up into the ultimate pinnacle of his spirit.
- It’s exciting to be here. I have waited a long time for this, but everybody knows that nobody remembers the loser of this game. This is the pinnacle. It doesn’t get any better than this. I’m trying to enjoy this experience.
- We continue to make history. Two years ago we reached the pinnacle of Texas high school football, and now this is only the seventh time in history a Texas team is playing a California team.
- I knew this team had more than most teams. To find a new level of more in the playoffs is a pinnacle for coaching. Our team leadership has paved the way for a successful and rewarding season.
- This is one of the most exciting discoveries of my career, and represents the pinnacle in the history of map making.
- They dismantled the Sweet 16 and they have eliminated the Elite Eight. That was what every team wanted to do was get to the Elite Eight and play downstate. That was the pinnacle for boys and girls basketball in the state of Illinois. The only good thing I like is that you don’t play two games on Saturday anymore.
- In North America in particular, this is kind of the pinnacle of women’s hockey. Men have the NHL and all the other things. Women, this past year you had the Olympics, and the other three years you have the World Championships, but the Frozen Four is the pinnacle of women’s hockey. A lot of people in our sport are going to be focused on the teams and focused on the event.
- I remember hugging my dad afterwards and him crying. I remember ‘What a feeling associated with victory.’ It’s the pinnacle of what you do. Boy, it made me want to be a basketball player for my dad in the worst way possible.
- This is the pinnacle of a coach and team’s career. We’re going to the state championship. I just want to say what a great team Fayetteville Christian is. They’re well coached, and we’re fortunate to beat them.
- That was probably the pinnacle of our rivalry. It started to heat up.
- Our guys have to be able to handle that pressure. There are a lot of distractions. There is a lot of tugging and a lot of things you have to deal with that are different from the regular season. I want them to enjoy where they are at because it is the pinnacle of college basketball to get to this point. At the same time, you have to keep the focus there and put yourself in position to play the best basketball.
- The two pinnacles I had that I’ve reached were to catch a fish on my own pattern and to be published in a book. I’m happy I’ve done that.
- To see the impact that sports can have and should have is really the pinnacle for me of what sports is all about.
- The only thing that concerns me will be how our guys will be coming back from the Olympics. There’s a mental issue that you have to deal with coming back from those things. These guys expend so much of themselves at this event. It’s such a pinnacle at two-thirds of the way through the season. I don’t know how that magnitude of an event is going to affect them. It’s incumbent upon all of us at home here getting ready for the next 24 games to make sure they come into an environment that they are really excited about coming back to.
- The Olympic opening ceremony is the most important event for the vast majority of the athletes here. Most won’t come close to a medal. And for them, this is the pinnacle of their athletic careers.
- When it comes to Australian team sporting prizes, it’s clear that the public consider the Ashes to be the pinnacle. We expect the whole country will be gripped by Ashes fever when the Ashes series begins later this year.
- Athletics is a very selfish pursuit. I wake up every morning and as I get ready for the day, I ask myself, how can I be the best in the world. So after years of this, and people sacrificing so I can be the best in the world, I think it’s imperative for me or anybody else who reaches a pinnacle in their careers to reach out a hand for somebody else.
- As for going to the stars, The Listeners concluded that it was inherently impossible and the only contact would be through radio. I believe that this may be true; on the other hand, I still nurse my youthful aspirations to go to the stars, and I think that humanity should pursue it – after all, we have not reached the pinnacle of science and technology.
- USC and Oklahoma have become the two most dominant schools in the eyes of the kids they’re recruiting. Just as Bobby Bowden demonstrated over a long period of time, I think as long as Bob Stoops and Pete Carroll are there they will always have exceptional teams. It’s a more complicated game now than it’s ever been, but those two guys are at the very pinnacle of grasping all the nuances.
- We were undoubtedly pleased when Go Daddy’s portfolio surpassed 9 million domain names in July. But we weren’t satisfied — after all, it’s ‘the Go Daddy way’ to keep moving forward. So we redoubled our efforts in order to achieve the 10 million domain name pinnacle faster than it took to grow from 8 to 9 million domains. And once again, the dedicated and relentless efforts of our employees, combined with the loyalty of millions of satisfied customers, were the decisive factors in helping us reach this milestone.
- We, including scientists, have considered ourselves as sort of the pinnacle of evolution.