Most of the nexus 5x and nexus 6p users do not know that they could easily set a custom ringtone for notifications, text messages, phone calls and alarm by following few easy steps. Many suggest to make use of third party applications available in play store to set a ringtone of our choice. But I suggest not to download or use any application to set a custom tone of your choice.
Do you have a file manger or file explorer installed in your nexus?
If the answer is yes, then you need not connect your phone to your laptop or PC also. If you have a file manager installed in your phone, follow the below steps.
- Open your file manager and then find the mp3 file or files you want to set as ringtones.
- Select those files and copy those files using the “Copy” option featured in the file manager.
- Now navigate to the ‘Ringtones’ folder in your device’s internal storage and copy the files into that folder.
- Now exit the file explorer and go to ringtone settings. You will find your copied files also along with the default ones.
That’s it, you can now choose the music of your choice and hear them whenever someone calls or receive a notification.
Follow the below steps to set ringtone on nexus 5x and nexus 6p if you do not have a file manager on your phone.
- Bring together or get ready with all the music files you want to use as custom ringtones and prepare them in your PC or laptop.
- Connect your phone to the computer with an USB cable.
- When you connect your mobile to the computer, you will find a folder called Ringtones in the phone’s internal storage.
- Copy all the music files you have gathered into that folder and disconnect your phone from PC.
Now you could find your files in ringtone settings.
How to add custom message tones in Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P?
To add music files of your choice as notification tones, follow the above mentioned steps and check the message ringtone settings. Not just these, you could set a ringtone of your choice for any application like Gmail, Yahoo mail etc.., Under notification settings of those apps, just choose the ringtone of your choice.
Set a different ringtone for each contact:
- Open Contacts application in your device.
- Find the contact for which you want to change the ringtone.
- Tap that particular contact and then under ringtones, tap the option “default”.
- Select the ringtone of your choice and tap OK.
Easy method (Only if you have ES File Explorer or any similar file manager installed in your device)
Head over to ‘Settings’ and select the ‘Sound & notification’ option. To set custom ringtone, select Default notification/ ringtone option to see a pop up saying – Set from root media/File manager you have installed. If you select the file manager, say – ‘ES file explorer’, you will be able to select files from any folder of your choice. By this, you can skip all the painful procedure stated above. Repeat the same procedure to set custom message tones or notification tones.
If you have any questions then write them in comments section.